Friday, November 23, 2012

Heritage turkey review and recipe

We are starting to hear good reports from the heritage pastured  Thanksgiving turkeys. Its good to see them so enjoyed!
Here is one report... complete with picture and recipe! This customer bought a never frozen brined bird.
===========
Had 10 around the dinner table and they all claimed this was the BEST turkey they had ever tasted! Thank you for raising a perfect bird!
Recipe:
Yes that was bacon....apple smoked, organic Beelers. Yes you can use my comments as a testimonial. I began by separating the skin from the bird and laying fresh sage leaves under the skin with some organic butter then I stuffed the bird with an orange, fresh sage leaves, 2 large sprigs of rosemary, 5 pieces of celery and a head of garlic. I squeezed an orange over the bird and laid 4 pieces of bacon over that. I put that squeezed orange in the neck flap and used a metal skewer to keep the skin in place. I put a yellow onion cut into quarters, the rest of the celery, another head of garlic separated into cloves and a quart of organic chicken broth in the roasting pan with the turkey on a rack and popped the pan into a preheated 475 degree oven (with a thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh). After half an hour I turned the oven down to 375 and cooked the turkey to 160 degrees, removing it at that point to let it rest for 40 minutes under a tent of foil. I only opened the oven once to take a look and never basted. I got almost 2 cups of juices from the bird while it rested (for the gravy) and it was magnificent! Thanks again for helping me wow my friends for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment