Monday, February 6, 2012

Mealworm Breeding Begins!

Another new project underway at little sprouts is our own mealworm breeding setup.  We have a need to supplement the birds with a high fat and protein source, when there are not the natural array of bugs available in the grass and ground.  After looking into several ways to create this important aspect of their diet, we have settled on growing mealworms at a large enough scale to feed 300 birds. The end result should be even higher nutrient eggs and meats, and healthier birds.

As the project progresses I will be posting more details on our chosen production method and scale.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am a free range egg farmer from South Africa and have also decided to raise mealworms for my girls, I am still deciding on my materials and methods so if you have any updates on your progress, I would love to hear about them.

    Kind Regards
    Dyanne

    ReplyDelete