Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fox slips away

Sad day today. I was up at 4:30 again to watch for the fox with my trusty rifle. After sitting in my hiding 'sniper' spot for close to an hour... Something just didn't feel right. Not able to see anything but just feeling 'off' I took a walk around the farm.

Barn looks fine and untouched.

Turkey roost... Counted 3 turkeys missing and at one point the electric netting was pushed up over the weeds. Definitely looked like an exit. No signs of struggle though.

As I crossed the south pasture, again things felt 'wrong'. As I neared the fallen tree something caught my eye... THE FOX! He had just crossed the fence and was prancing behind a mound of dirt in the neighbor's yard. I didn't have a safe line of fire so I couldn't make a hasty shot and wirhin 10 seconds he was gone without a trace. He must have ducked down in the weeds and snuck away. I searched for a while not able to fnd any sign of him.

Then... My heart sank. The orchard. Sure enough..... wthere I found the remains of a sitting hen. It was obvious that the fox had killed her by the fence and drug her about 20 feet into the weeds to feed.the remains were maybe 75% eaten so either he had his fill or I dsturbed his meal. There were also several empty egg shells by the gate.

Best guess.. This happened just before I went out and he was hiding in the tall orchard grass until my walking around spooked him.

I am still very suspicious of the fallen tree. Is there a fox hole under it? Time to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's too bad! I have a coyote that haunts us. I've spent many a morning waiting for it to show up. I just saw that it had at least 2 offspring not long ago....more to hunt later. I've lost 2 cats and numerous chickens to them.

    ReplyDelete