Monday, June 15, 2015

Replanted the melons, a third time.

For some reason we are really struggling to get melons this year. We have planted, and then spot planted the area twice, and still very few sprouts. After both plantings we only found a couple dozen plants ,  out of 8 rows of 180 feet each. Not good!

I dont know what the cause is.. possibly these particular melon seeds arent viable, or just dont like our weather, or.. I dont know. But it didnt work.

So, today we removed the drip lines, pulled up all the successful plants, and retilled the entire plot again. The ground is much fier now.. since the last tie left it a bit too rocky. Perhaps this affected the sprouting.  Anyway, within a couple hours we had the plot tilled, drip lines reinstalled, and a new planting done.

This time we went with a variety of watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe.  Hopefully with this variety and the finer ground things will work out. Its too late to fix for this year if this one doesnt work.

No comments:

Post a Comment