Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Grey fox returns

Even though the tracks in the front yard look exactly like bobcat tracks... This morning I awoke to find a grey fox stalking the turkeys. Chickens were safely tucked away in the coop but turkeys were roosting at the pond. I attempted to meet him outside with the shotgun but I was too late. Tomorrow I might try waiting up for him.

UPDATE: Unfortunately I found a young headless turkey inside the coop today. Apparently the fox tore open a corner of the wire mesh and entered the coop, biting the head of a young turkey. I repaired the wire in the corner and reattached some roof panels that had blown off in the wind. That should make things more secure for the birds.


Also, I noticed that all of the duck eggs are gone off the nest, both the good ones and the bad ones. The nest is completely empty and Jill (the mother duck) had abandoned it. The fox must have had eggs for breakfast.



No comments:

Post a Comment