Saturday, October 30, 2010

Is grass truly the basis of life?

One  of the pages above on this blog is about grass and how grass is the foundation of life. As odd as this sounds, it is in direct opposition to commonly held and taught beliefs in the agricultural world. Most of the agriculture world recognizes corn as the "perfect food" and the basis of life, even for animals that do not naturally eat anything but grass. I suspect this is due to the fact that the US government has and still does subsidize the corn crop of America to such an extent that no other crop can compete. For whatever reason, the government pays for corn to be planted so that it can be sold below production cost.  I'll stop here on corn since that is a separate blog post.

My purpose in this post is to state that my own views are evolving, and today I would offer that grass is at the foundation, but is not the foundation.  Something even more fundamental supports the growth of grass. My thinking in that post did not go far enough.  It is not enough to point to grass as the plant that provides the basis of the food chain, rather it is the soil that the grass grows in. The soil, its chemical and biological makeup, is the basis of life.

I'll be updating that blog post as soon as I can (and when the research on this is complete).

No comments:

Post a Comment