Friday, October 15, 2010

Home Remedy - black tea bags for a stye

Along with our search for the best possible nutrition, we are also committed to rediscovering the wisdom of prior generation in health care. So much wisdom and knowledge has been lost since the popularity of medicines. While medicines certainly have a place, they always come with side effects and should only be used when necessary, so the old proven treatments without side effects are preferable when possible.  So I thought it fun to start documenting the "home remedies" that we try from time to time.

I ended up with a stye in my right eye, likely caused by touching my eye with my work gloves on the other day (yes, not smart). First I tried to ignore it for a day, but it got worse. Then i dug out an old bottle of antibiotic eye drops and tried it for a day. Still got worse. By the third day it was swollen and puffy like a traditional stye.

Some research led me to a few commonly used home remedies, one of the most popular that was easy to implement was black tea bags. You boil the water, drop the bag in, let it steep for a few minutes, pull the bag out and let it cool some, then apply the bag to the eye and let it soak like a warm compress. Supposedly the tannic acid in the tea is what works as an antibiotic, and the warm moist heat helps the inflammation and pain.

I tried it last night and today the stye is at least half gone. Hopefully one more day of occasional treatments will cure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment