Thursday, May 27, 2010

One more turkey lost

Putting the turkeys to bed tonight, I only counted 27. Recounting and recounting from different angles didn't help. 27 turkeys instead of 28. The only thing to do was start a search and hope for the best.

While searching I started thinking through the day. There were a couple of odd things come to mind. First, I remembered checking on the turkeys about 4:30 and noticing they were already all in the hoop house. That is very odd since they usually don't head to the roost until dark, around 8:30 or so. The other odd thing that came to mind was that I noticed Friedrickson in the pasture earlier, heading towards the house. He is my daughter's orange and white cat. This was the first time I remember seeing him in the pasture.

So.. searched around the orchard, no luck. Past the worm fence, up to the garden, around the lamb shelter, no luck. Just when I was about to give up, in the bottom of the little creek through the pasture was feathers.  A 2 foot circle of feathers with turkey feet laying in the middle. My heart sank.

At first I thought Louie, but he had been with me all day today. So I studied the "crime scene". Sure enough there were several clues to be found. It wasn't just feet, it was boned up to the hip, picked completely clean of meat. The inner organs lay in a pile at the edge of the feathers. This was no dog. Dogs or coyotes do not bother to pick bones clean, they crunch the bones. The only animal I can think of that eats in this manner is a cat. They are careful and neat eaters. And.... today I saw Friedrickson in the pasture for the first time. It also makes sense that after the attack the rest of the birds would retreat scared to the hoop house and roost safely out of reach.  The pieces fall into place.

Honestly, I had not considered the danger from cats to the turkeys. Obviously that was a miscalculation on my part. Now the cats (we have 5) present a real danger that must be dealt with. The safest thing for now is to leave the birds cooped in the hoop house and move it around the orchard a couple times a day. I don't like this idea long term  because I truly feel that  birds need the ability to fly and roam and hunt.  Cooping these beautiful creatures just does not fit with our farm. The question is... how to keep these natural predators away until the birds are big enough to defend themselves.

The day ends with another challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment