Thursday, May 27, 2010

Louie meets Dusty

Here's one of those moments when you wish there was a video.  While in the pasture searching down the missing turkey, Louie decided to pass through the gate by himself to join me. All the sheep were sitting around between where I was in the pasture and the gate Louie walked through. He saw me and trotted out to be with me.

Dusty, the "in charge mommy sheep" decided that was not something she could tolerate. A dog alone in her pasture... no, not acceptable. She started running up behind him at near full speed. Right when she was a few feet away Louie turned around just in time to see dusty duck her head.

BAM!

Full on head bunt between Dusty's curved horns and Louie's head. It was just like watching the Discovery channel. Louie was knocked back about 6 inches and shook his head. Then came the low growl. I immediately called him to me to prevent a challenge between them and he happily ran over, still dazed from the hit. As I walked him to the gate, she came after him again but I told Louie to "go, get out", and happily he obeyed, running through the gate.

Dusty was happy, standing in front of her flock "smiling".

Oddly, Rainy the guard llama was comfortable enough with Louie to stand back and watch the entire encounter without flinching. He does a very good job with any dogs he doesn't know, but he chose not to step in between Dusty and Louie!

No comments:

Post a Comment